Thursday 1 December 2011

It's Best To Test (Red Filter)

In a previous post I showed that having a red filter would be a very nice effect for our music video. However I showed in Photoshop how to have the effect on a still shot. Whereas using the same method on a lenghty video would take a ridiculous amount of time. Also that was technically selective colouring and not 'filtering'.

However I decided to actually record footage at Waterloo to do an actual test. The footage was captured in HD and in colour. In the videos below you will be able to see how the filter works.



This is the before and after version showing a direct comparison.



This is the version with full resolution showing the red filter.

Unfortunately the filter did not work as well as we wanted it to. When I filter the other colours out in the software manually it also leaves grey patches where red is supposed to be. When the filter is applied with a software effect (automatically) it does a great job of capturing reds. However because red is in pink, orange, yellow and brown, some of those colours are picked up as well.

The red filter works really well in my opinion even though it does not completely filter. I am happy with the result and glad I tested it.

No comments:

Post a Comment